From:
Pilar McAdam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2011 12:52:08 -0800
Todd Johnson asked:

"One of our departments has keyed document properties (Title, Subject,
Keywords, etc) into newly created Microsoft Office 07 documents (Word
and
Excel) They have even created a custom document property of "retention"
and want to go back and do this to all their legacy documents (Wouldn't
want
to be the low-man on the totem pole for this one). My question is, do
ERM
systems in general allow for that metadata to be used and mapped during
migration to the ERMS? I just don't want them to spend a lot of time
doing
this for current or legacy documents if the metadata won't be useful
during
the migration to an ERMS in the next 12-18 months-ish. Please provide
feedback if you have dealt with this issue during migration to an ERMS."

At the law firm I work for, we're in the process of migrating our RMS
from Accutrac 8.0 to Autonomy's iManage Records Manager (iRM) 6.0, which
integrates with Autonomy's DeskSite/WorkSite/FileSite DMS suite.  iRM
isn't an ERMS, per se, because electronic content isn't stored inside
the application.  Instead, from within iRM, users can view any
electronic content in the DMS that's been declared as a record, and
various policies (e.g., retention rules, holds) can be applied to the
DMS content from iRM.  So, the metadata already utilized within the DMS
is what's important.  When we migrate documents to the DMS from
Microsoft applications, we can map Microsoft metadata to the DMS
metadata fields.  That's one of the considerations when working with our
DMS administrator to bring new content into the DMS.

That's kind of a roundabout answer to your question for our particular
circumstance.  But, I think it really points to the fact that metadata
can be managed/used to the extent that it's included in -- and
appropriately accounted for -- with your ERMS deployment and subsequent
data imports.

Pilar C. McAdam, CRM
Los Angeles, CA

Pilar C. McAdam, CRM
Director of Business Intake and Records
333 South Hope Street
43rd Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90071-1422
Direct: 213.617.5417
Fax: 213.443.2703

Circular 230 Notice: In accordance with Treasury Regulations we notify you that any tax advice given herein (or in any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used by any taxpayer, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax penalties or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein (or in any attachments).

Attention: This message is sent by a law firm and may contain information that is privileged or confidential. If you received this transmission in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message and any attachments.
http://www.sheppardmullin.com/