From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2012 07:46:59 -0700
On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 4:11 AM, Glen Sanderson
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Someone needs to explain what Permanent means to the business.  Let
> someone higher up the food chain make that call.  As a RM we can let them
> know that permanent means (depends on electronic or HC) as example.
> Annual review of media
> Possibly transfer of media from one media to another
> Upgrading the files (maybe go from a TiffG4 to Tiff6 in the future
> Environmental costs for storing permanently
> Costs associated and the list goes on.  I am OK with permanent as long as
> the business knows what that means.

More importantly Glen, (at least in the US) I think someone needs to
explain it to NARA.

In most cases when a business establishes a retention period of "Permanent"
in their schedule, it is based on the citation from a regulatory agency in
the Federal Government, who in most cases, is citing a General Retention
Schedule (GRS) from NARA or their own Agency specific schedule, which
contains retention periods set and/or approved by NARA.  Few business
organizations throw out the term "permanent" when it comes to retention to
satisfy business purposes, it's almost always because they are meeting a
regulatory or statutory requirement.

It's long been held that "2-3% of all Federal Records are Permanent", but
the records generated by a limited number of Agencies make up more than 50%
of that 2-3%... and given the TOTAL volume of records produced by Federal
Agencies AND their Contractors, even that small percentage is a HUGE
volume.

Worse yet, if you've read the Presidential Directive, they have
acknowledged that the vast majority of records ARE created electronically
and the ability to manage them MUST improve, and further they are pushing
for the CONVERSION of existing legacy formats of Permanent records on other
media INCLUDING MICROFILM to be converted to electronic formats.  (Goal 1,
Item 1.1)

By December 31,2019, all permanent electronic records in Federal agencies
will be managed electronically to the fullest extent possible for eventual
transfer and accessioning by NARA in an electronic format. By December
31,2013, each agency will develop and begin to implement plans to achieve
this transition. Agencies should also consider the benefits of digitizing
permanent records created in hard-copy format or other analog formats
(e.g., microfiche, microfilm, analog video, analog audio).

But the absolute worst part is in Part II, Section B, Item 2.C., where it
says the following:

Overhaul the General Records Schedules
By December 31, 2017, to reduce the need for unique records schedules
submitted for approval to the Archivist, NARA, in consultation with
appropriate oversight agencies, will make substantive changes to the
General Records Schedules (GRS). These significant changes will include,
combining the records series into more appropriate aggregations for easier
disposition action by agencies, and expanding the number of permanent
records series in the GRS to reduce the scheduling and appraisal burden on
agencies.

EXPANDING the number of permanent records series TO REDUCE THE SCHEDULING
AND APPRAISING BURDEN on agencies.

So, it seems to be agreed that the cost burden of periodic conversion and
migration of content managed in an electronic form, including the avoidance
of media degradation and obsolescence, is unavoidable when it comes to
ensuring persistent access to content that is required to be maintained
permanently... then WHY would there be a move afoot to INCREASE the volume
of these records and to move away from known stable and lower cost formats,
such as microfilm and microfiche?

I think SOMEONE got into the cider bucket when they wrote up some of these
requirements...

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina
Danville, CA