From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2013 08:24:24 -0800
On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 7:18 AM, Didley, Claudia <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The problem we are running into is that everyone
> wants to keep anything and everything in these folders forever, even
> when the project is complete.

This is a common problem anytime you describe/title something at such a
high or general level.

If you were to gather 4-5 individuals who use/create "Engineering Project
Folders" within your organization and ask them to list 8-10 types of items
they put in these files, you'd probably get a list of 30-40 different
items... and at different phases of a project, the list would likely be
different.

Really, the only was around this is to create subdivisions within the
folder, then file things chronologically within those subdivided folders,
to ensure records are dispositioned based on their appropriate retention
periods.

This can be done in both a physical format filing system and/or an
electronic system- the primary difference is there is no need for
"chronological arrangement' within an electronic system, and subdivisions
can be done through the use of metadata or tags.

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina
Danville, CA
RIM Professional since 1972*