From:
"Julie J. Colgan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2013 16:30:41 -0500
Well, no flames or anything of the sort from me, however I will say that I
do believe that IG is real and isn't going anywhere.  In my opinion (that's
me personally, not wearing any specific hat nor waving any flags), we have
finally come to the point of professional evolution that RMs have been
dying for.  There has never been a better time to be a RM professional;
never a time with more opportunity ripe for people with the skills we have.

KM, Content Mgmt, among others have come and gone, and for very real and
valid reasons.  One reason is that none of them reached high enough into
corporate strategy (in other words, they were more tactical than truly
strategic), but perhaps most importantly because the external drivers to
truly invest in information governance at the highest levels in the
organization simply weren't present.  Just because it was the "right" thing
to do doesn't mean it was worthy of fully funding the effort.  That's why
we see so many organizations sitting on haystacks and piles of "dark data",
and years of RM budgets being decimated.  The ROI simply wasn't compelling
... until now.  And I believe the ROI will remain compelling well into the
future.

I work with C-level executives every day - CIOs, CTOs, CFOs, CMOs, and so
on - and IG is very, very real to them and is something they are investing
in.  That said, IG isn't merely RM with a new name.  It is strategic, and
addresses not only the tactics necessary to manage information (RM,
privacy, DR/BC, security, archiving/tiering, etc.), but to "right size"
those efforts from the perspective of corporate strategy, risk tolerance,
culture and prioritization of limited resources.

It may very well be that many of the RMs on this list have been doing IG
for many years, and I think that's fantastic.  That said, I suspect just as
many have not had exposure outside of very specific, traditional RM-related
functions.  Regardless, I just don't understand why we would turn away from
a phrase that is actually getting us where we claim we've always wanted to
be - at the table.  A rose by any other name, right?

I, personally, have had too much first hand experience in the marketplace
with those who have seats at the table to think Information Governance is
anything but the "new normal", and that RM is a critical, yet not
exclusive, foundation for success in IG.  That being the case, I'm just as
happy to see (finally!) a formal occupational series for Records
Management.  Not every RM will morph into an IG professional, and that's
just fine.  RMs will continue to have a strong, important role to play; and
will likely enjoy much more exposure and notoriety for their hard work.

Rob, if you are still reading at this point, I'd be happy to chat with you
offline about your project.  I don't have any exemplars to share, but I'd
be happy to share my opinion if you want it.

Cheers,
Julie

**All comments are my own**

--