From:
Julie Colgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2013 23:24:50 -0500
Hi Kim, welcome to the list and all the best with your studies!

I suspect that for as many people who offer opinions, you'll have at least as many differing opinions.  As is well worn in this industry, the answer you seek depends ...

I will offer this on list, and offer you the opportunity to reach out off list for additional thoughts if you choose, but the areas you mention are all perfectly valid pursuits ... depending on what you want to do every day.  Each of them - KM, DAM, CM, IA, and plenty of others such as Info Security, MDM, RIM and so on - all all specialties of sorts.  And each of them contribute to what I, and a lot of others, consider Info Governance.  The former are management tactics, while the latter is strategic and serves to determine the right mix and amount of tactics for a given organization.

A final thought on the smorgasbord of options available to you ... it's because in order to truly manage/govern ALL information is a highly complex and multi-faceted endeavor that requires more than one person and more than one tactic.

Again, my best for your studies, and always feel free to reach out to me off list if I can be of any assistance.

Regards,
Julie

Sent from my iPad