From:
Carol Choksy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2013 12:01:45 -0500
Having taught ARMA's Information Governance Principles for the last year, and having used it successfully with my clients for 2 years, I'm not asking questions about its staying power, but what the creators understand to be the path to accomplish the various activities and where traditional RIM works in. I even created a few gigantic graphics to for analysis. A very clear "How To" presents itself, but I disagree with some if it.

The first thing I disagree with us that you can be at a Level 3 in Accountability and accomplish anything. Everyone who counts must be on board. It's figuring out who counts that matters. The Board may be irrelevant to the entire process. You can have a stakeholder committee that cannot act for a lit if different reasons. More often than not, it looks like a Level 5

Another area where I'm concerned us that there is no activity for organizing information. Where are the file plans? Where is the taxonomy? Further, the retention schedule is based on three activities: regulatory guideline matrix, information inventory, and taxonomy, yet a "retention schedule" somehow magically appears as early as Level 2.

I'm working on a step-by-step, but if you want a head start, begin with a discussion of the Maturity Model with your executives and grade yourselves--no need for a gigantic assessment here, on Accountability, Compliance, and Transparency.

The Principles and Maturity Model aren't perfect, but they are a fabulous tool. I've been doing records management for more than 40 years, and I've seen the fads come and go. This is not a fad, it is a tool that is as valuable as the life-cycle.

Best wishes,
Carol E.B. Choksy

Sent from my iPhone