From:
John Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2013 17:16:17 -0400
There are really only a couple of issues here.

1. The undeniable importance in a democracy of transparency and the critical
role of openness in records generated by government. This is appropriate
subject for the list.
2. An assumption or allegation that a news source has a slanted opinion.
Really? Whose slant? Which direction? Much of the media is blatantly
shamelessly biased and it is therefore even more important that the subject
of FOIA, Open Records, and transparency be discussed. Attorney General
Holder was voted in contempt of Congress for not revealing significant
records regarding the Fast and Furious scandal and the death of a border
control agent.  The Bengazi scandal is equally terrible where an ambassador
and others were killed and still no significant records released or Congress
or the people informed. It  has outraged many on the left as well as the
right. Many people from differing overall political perspectives are getting
concerned about government openness.

There is nothing more important than discussing the failure (for whatever
reason) of a government to inform its people about what it is doing. It is
one of the most unique things about American democracy. However, I have
sided in the past with government records managers and officials who were
overwhelmed by self-serving lawyers seeking to use Open Records requests to
look over their shoulders to monitor daily actions. And I have also sided
with the public when a government agency is obviously stalling an a blatant
cover-up. It takes information about a variety of references and resources
to be professionally informed on these issues.

Discussing issues like this is very important and it is a primary reason we
have Records Managers in government and a Listserv like this to discuss it.

Facts vs Opinion. If someone thinks a news source about a records issue is
more opinion than fact, they can provide a reference to a countervailing
opinion or more accurate facts. It is more important to hear more than one
perspective on a records issue on this list than it is to appoint someone on
the list as the sole arbiter of sanitized perspective.

John

John Phillips
Information Technology Decisions
www.infotechdecisions.net