From:
Douglas Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2013 12:48:08 -0400
Chris,

I think most Archivists would argue that everything has permanent value,
while we RM's are struggling to reduce storage spend for our organizations.

I asked early on in my career if we shouldn't return business records once
classified as permanent to entities that we had not had a relationship
with for 7 years, rather than destroying them. The answer was that those
clients should have maintained their own copies. This never sat well with
me but the administrative burden of returning all those records was
determined to be unreasonable so it was not done.

In the case where records have permanent retention value we could arguably
'correct' that retention value to LOS (life of species). Adding an
additional number of years to that value would be silly, wouldn't it?

Ahoy, ye scurvy dogs,

Doug Johnson
Atlanta, GA