From:
"Seibolt, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2013 15:21:49 +0000
Hello Listserv land. Long-time lurker, infrequent poster. Quick intro: I have been in RIM for almost 14 years and with my current organization for 7 years. I am the Records Manager (new job description pending) for a not-for-profit, Scientific Research Institute. We deal with a large variety of records on media that includes everything from formalin slides to onion skin paper. We have been in business since 1944 so we have all kinds of oddities which include artwork. One of the first CEOs of our organization was an avid painter and knew many other painters over his 25 years of leadership. In addition to his own works, we have had other works donated to the organization mostly from his friends.

Yesterday, the property manager brought me two lithographs which I found listed on the following page. http://www.audubonart.com/01_platelist_SEL2.asp
I had to dig quickly to figure out whether I had something of nominal or considerable value sitting by my desk. They arrived with no accompanying background information.

Unfortunately, they are not the high dollar ones but they are both about 180 years old and worth about 700 dollars combined. We have them because our Records Center is the only non-lab space where temperature and humidity is managed and monitoring. Many of these artworks are hanging in public areas or the offices of senior management. After a change in personnel or a remodeling and the artwork is no longer desired for that location, it often arrives without notice or background in the Records Center. In addition to the new acquisitions to our gallery, we have a space art collection of significant value hanging in the Records Center.

I had a quick learning curve to become an an ad-hoc art curator but I think I am doing fairly well. Is anyone else out there also an ad-hoc art curator with some wisdom to share? Does anyone know of any online resources that would be helpful for managing artwork in a Records Center/Business environment? Thanks.

Rob Seibolt, CRM
Supervisor-Records Management
Missouri
816-360-5480
http://www.mriglobal.org<http://www.mriglobal.org/>

This message is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by facsimile, e-mail or phone and delete all copies of the message.