From:
Brett Wise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 2015 14:56:00 +0000
Hi Bob, a lot of it depends on your  geographic area, the responsibilities of the position and benefits of the work experience, and which level of student (graduate, undergraduate, other) you are seeking.  I am exploring the same question that you are asking.  We are offering a FT summer internship at $15 to $18 an hour (primarily intended for graduate students).  Our cost of living is probably slightly higher than St. Louis.  We have received some interest, but our local MLIS programs are very strong, so the students are in high demand.  During the school year, for PT internships, it isn't unheard of for students to get some tuition reimbursement in addition to hourly compensation.

It is probably not as difficult with undergraduate students and maybe with other academic disciplines/departments, but it appears that a lot of it comes down to "supply and demand."  I think you would be hard-pressed to find good candidates for  an unpaid internship unless that work experience is extremely unique/valuable.

Let us know how it goes.  Also, if anyone has found other options to attract candidates, that info would be very helpful.

Brett Wise CRM, IGP, CIP | American Board of Pediatrics
Director of Records & Information Management
111 Silver Cedar Court
Chapel Hill, NC 27514