From:
Frederic Grevin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 2015 15:39:24 +0000
I agree with Brett's comments.

Here at the New York City Economic Development Corporation Records Management Department, we pretty much hire only graduate students from one of the five library schools in the NYC Metro region.

Currently, we have them work on our "records reduction" (AKA destruction) project, which consist of re-inventorying, at a folder level, records we expect to be eligible for disposition (yes, the older inventories were poor to non-existent).

Re-inventorying entails looking up data in multiple sources (mostly databases), collecting that which fits the specific folder and entering the data into our Autonomy Records Manager system. All of the interns' work is checked by one the permanent analysts.

We pay graduate students $16 an hour (the range is actually $14-$16 an hour, but I figure we're getting our money's worth with a good library school student). The benefits are only the mandatory sick leave (a NYC requirement).

We have successfully hired interns for unpaid academic credit, but have been told we can no longer do so, for fear of running afoul of the federal Fair Labor Standards Act. A completely misplaced fear, inasmuch as non-profits and governmental entities are exempt from the provisions of the Act -- and we are both -- but never underestimate the paranoia of a "hired gun attorney".

Best regards,

Fred