From:
"David E." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jul 2015 13:19:33 -0400
Our government technically uses the metric system and officially has
since... I believe the early 1990s? Obviously, that hasn't translated into
everyone using it over that period of time. The metric system is used at
NASA because it's so integral to science (also, a spacecraft disaster
happened because somebody at NASA used both our system of measurements AND
the metric system in building the craft).

I know that our system of measurement is called the "imperial system," and
if I had to guess, it was imported to us by our former British colonial
masters. Everyone else around the world has transitioned to the metric
system over time, but we haven't put it into common usage, and I also don't
think that I'll see it used here.