From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 2015 09:34:29 -0800
On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 4:38 PM, PeterK <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Just about every printer on the planet leaves a digital footprint – tiny,
> almost invisible yellow dots on every page they print, featuring
> information such as the printer’s serial number and a timestamp. To pick up
> the dots, you’d need a microscope and a blue light.
>
> The information is there for the exact reason you would expect, to make
> pages traceable. It’s a practice known as digital steganography, which
> *IEEE
> Xplore* define as “the art of inconspicuously hiding data within data”.

There was an episode of Bones where this was used to determine who had
generated a piece of evidence and an episode of Law and Order SVU where it
was used to track a serial rapist...

I wondered at the time if there was any truth to it, so I replaced my
yellow ink cartridge with a cyan cartridge and printed 10 pages, and YEP...
the pattern was visible.

Larry

--
Larry