From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Mar 2016 21:45:56 -0500
Snips from Bill’s post

> Subject: Re: Risk of EMP’s to our society; a discussion for your next Disaster Recovery meeting
> Date: March 4, 2016 at 2:16:43 PM EST
>

> Ok, time to stop the fear mongering and take off the tin foil hat…

Okay, but I think it makes me look more dashing.  Ha Ha

I was hoping we might start a discussion for a change and this triggered one.  I thought all the points made were worth reading and as always some of the posts sent me out to reading other web sites.  And that stuff always makes me feel smarter.  (I can guarantee I am smarter but now without the tin foil hat I can never be sure.

> According to a military analyst at the global intelligence firm STRATFOR:

> He goes on to say that as far as the US intelligence community knows, [or is willing to say], neither the US nor the Russians have gone past the prototype stage in creating EMP devices.
>
> The analyst also pointed out that given the complexity of EMP tech (outside of using a nuclear bomb) that it would be much simpler to just blow up the power lines going out of a power plant.

Boeing has gone further as shown here in this site:

We now have drones equipped with EMP beams — and that ... <https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwimi-LJ-afLAhWhsIMKHXwzCJUQFggjMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fio9.com%2F5954756%2Fwe-now-have-drones-equipped-with-emp-beams----and-that-could-be-lethal&usg=AFQjCNH6bEkEsZEiMVNwnVEVU12-fMltVA&bvm=bv.116274245,d.dmo>
io9.com/.../we-now-have- <http://io9.com/.../we-now-have->drones-equipped-with-emp-beams----and-t... <https://www.google.com/#> <http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:AgeNbDQSj_UJ:io9.com/5954756/we-now-have-drones-equipped-with-emp-beams----and-that-could-be-lethal+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us>io9
Oct 25, 2012 - We now have drones equipped with EMP beams — and that could be lethal ... The project to shield electronics against EMP is called TEMPEST …

I was amazed they could build a weapon on such a small platform.

> See this is what happens when you watch too much Fox "news".
>
> Bill Creamer
> Records & Conflicts Manager
> New York, NY

I watch FOX, CNN, Peter showed me how to set RSS feeds and I read Bing.com <http://bing.com/> every day, and I learned listening to any news outlet will take me off down their own special Bunny Trail.  But my cousin’s son is Bill Hemmer of FOX News and I have never found him to say anything that was not true.  But the source I was quoting was from a Congressional Committee and I was not quoting a FOX news anchor.

But as always my remarks are meant with good humor and intellectual curiosity.  I just like to have open dialog on issues from a group that has really smart people who really know how to research a topic.  I have learned a lot from this community.  I have been told I am too harsh for some; but I don’t mean it to be that way.  I am always smiling when I post.  It is fun and creative.

I have had a number of calls over the last two years worrying about TESLA fields and at first I thought they were crazy but the sources were of high level.  We build shielded Faraday Cages into our vaults, so that is why the inquiries come in.  More than a few people worry about this so how can it be bad too openly discuss an issue.

But after today, Records Managers on this List will take away their own thoughts on this topic. Damon Runyon, the sportswriter used to say something like “The race may not always be to the swift nor the victory to the strong, but that’s how you bet.”

So we bet that a stone age enemy won’t ever get an EMP weapon and reduce us back to a level where we too are on their level.

I thought David’s White Paper was spot on.  I also found the sources Larry provided “The EMP Threat is Real and Growing” to back up our discussion quite well.   I never said this EMP issue was our number 1 threat but it should be on our control panel to monitor.

In order, I think our real threats are:
1) Our national debt.  (If we can’t pay China and Russia back, they do have these weapons.)
2) A fractured America where all sides are irrational to all other sides and all the news networks fuel this.
3) Cyberterrorism
4) A growing Islamic Terrorist state like ISIS
5) The collapse of Social Security and the Welfare State due to #1

Somewhere below here I list an EMP as a Black Swan.  It is unlikely in the near term but the absolute terror of what it could do if we are not prepared worries many including me.  I think hardening our data center and power grids and our cell network is important to this task. I think compartmentalizing our power grid so rolling power outages are possible.  As you said, taking down some power lines could create havoc but only for a few hours or days.  Rebuilding our power lines is something our energy companies can do in a heartbeat as they did after Hurricane Sandy.  Power was out for days but they had the metropolitan areas back on line very quickly.  Poor guys like me out on the Amish network had to wait.  But I took precautions and now that is not an issue.  That is what our country should do. Take precautions and harden our infrastructure instead of letting it grow more vulnerable.

Now I will go back and reap my laptop in tin foil. No more communications until Zero 500 or some military time or when ever my iPhone wakes me up.  In all the best humor. ;~)

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM