From:
Luciana Duranti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Apr 2016 15:14:20 -0700
please excuse the cross-posting

The School of Library, Archival and Information Studies (The iSchool@UBC) is
very pleased to announce the appointment of two new tenure track Assistant
Professors to begin July 1st, 2016.

Dr. Jennifer Douglas will take up our Archival Science position. Dr. Douglas
earned her PhD at the University of Toronto and has been doing outstanding
work at the UBC iSchool as a lecturer and term Assistant Professor since
2014. Her research areas include personal archives; writers' archives;
archival arrangement and description; history and evolution of archival
theory; online communities and archives; and archival representation. Her
current research explores the role of recordkeeping in grieving. Her
dissertation, entitled Archiving Authors: Rethinking the Analysis and
Representation of Personal Archives, won the iSchools Dissertation Award in
2014, and that same year, she was awarded the W. Kaye Lamb prize for the
Archivaria journal article that most advances archival thinking in Canada.
She is the current General Editor of Archivaria, The Journal of the
Association of Canadian Archivists.

 --------------------------

Dr. Muhammad Abdul-Mageed will take up our position in Information and Media
Studies. Dr. Abdul-Mageed completed a dual Ph.D. in Computational
Linguistics and Information Science at Indiana University in 2015. Between
2010 and 2012, he was a Visiting Scholar in the Center for Computational
Learning Systems, Columbia University. He is currently a fellow of the
Center of Computer-Mediated Communication in IU and serves as a member of
the standing reviewing committee for Transactions of the Association for
Computational Linguistics. His interests lie at the intersection of social
media, natural language processing, and machine learning. He is an expert on
Arabic sentiment analysis and is especially interested in learning from
people and data over social media and creating more 'social' machines.  "I'm
excited about joining the talented SLAIS colleagues," says Dr. Abdul-Mageed,
"to shape the future of the iSchool, UBC, and the world!"

Dr. Freund, Acting Director of the iSchool, commented, "both these scholars
have outstanding research profiles and exemplary teaching records, and are
poised to build on the strengths of the School and the University.  We
welcome them as colleagues and look forward to exciting times ahead."

Dr. Luciana Duranti
Professor, Archival Studies
School of Library, Archival, and  Information Studies
The University of British Columbia | The Irving K. Barber Learning Centre
470-1961 East Mall, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z1
Phone 604 822 2587 | Fax 604 822 6006
 <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] |
<http://www.slais.ubc.ca/> www.slais.ubc.ca |
Director I Centre for the International Study of Contemporary Records and
Archives
 <http://www.ciscra.org/> www.ciscra.org

This message is confidential to the parties I intend it to serve.