Date:
Sun, 14 May 2017 09:58:14 -0500
The design makes a clear effort to steer clear of classical references — or
any recognizably European motifs, for that matter. This makes sense for a
president who was born in Hawaii to a Kenyan father and Kansan mother and
spent a good part of his childhood in Indonesia. It’s also a major
departure from the Greek columns that formed the backdrop for Obama’s
acceptance speech at the Democratic National Convention in 2008.

There is, finally, an unavoidable symbolism in the fact that the tower
appears truncated: a suggestion of an unfinished or even abandoned larger
project. The echoes of pre-Columbian ruins only add to this impression, as
does the way the whole complex is drained of color.

http://lat.ms/2reJr5g
http://lat.ms/2reJr5g+

--
Peterk