From:
"Seibolt, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2017 13:49:23 +0000
The big question is if this information is needed for a good length of time(more than 3-4 years) is it feasible to move it to some network storage where it can be secured, backed up, and migrated?

If not, I would say you would want to store them at the same levels of humidity and temperature as most electronic media. Unfortunately, media in most records centers has to share space with paper. I would shoot for 30-50% humidity and around 65-70 F. Unless you have a special storage area "on" or "offsite" then the lower range on both temperature and humidity. The bigger issue is obsolescence. My current computer has a DVD/CD player because the records staff occasionally need them. Most office desktops do not. How long will you have a computer that can play a CD? What about the program that will need to read the information on the CD? How long do you expect you may need to access the information?

If you need to access the information for 5-7 years having it on CDs might be Ok depending on the software needed to read the information. The more specialized the program the less time it will be compatible with later versions assuming the software is still around. After that, you might need an information forensic vendor to get the information assuming it's still readable. That issue speaks to someone writing on the CDs with markers that have solvents that leech into the data layers and destroy the data. You mean laundry markers aren't Ok to mark CDs? Or some fool carving the contents into the top side data layer with a pen (true story- it was many years ago but I have seen it). I think most CD programs have a decent labeling program these days but I personally haven't used something like that in years.

Rob Seibolt, CRM
Records and Library Services
http://www.mriglobal.org

This message is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by facsimile, e-mail or phone and delete all copies of the message.