From:
Maarja Krusten 2 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2017 15:30:27 -0500
Illustrating the value of historical accuracy in researching and crafting
products in workplaces that don't have a robust history mission focus can
be challenging.  Whether you work as a records manager, archivist or
corporate historian, keeping an eye out for unexpecterd sources for
illustrating why records matter can help you be a missionary for history.
Some relatable examples may even come from popular culture.

Just as Lin-Manuel Miranda offered thoughtful observations about the value
of history at the 2016 National Archives Foundation Gala, so, too, did this
year's Records of Achievement honoree, Tom Hanks.  I looked at the through
line in the work of the 2016 and 2017 honorees in a blog post about the
event, which I attended on October 21, 2017.  And why sometimes, as the
Archivist of the United States did, you take off your shoes and walk on
stage at a Black Tie event in your socks!
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__archivalexplorations.wordpress.com_2017_11_05_color-2Dpalettes-2Dand-2Dframes_&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=vXVYpVePwLq1bzWwaJBrZDk6MuUl5WxWkZhViIjWf2g&s=bx5ocqcoRNlET-BsoAF9tmt8rfpJ1kSe7q479ippYOo&e=

In the best cases, as Hanks demonstrated
​ in his remarks at the Records of Achievement Gala​
,
​users of records ​
give back to us archivists and historian-archivists by revealing how and
why records and factual accuracy matter in their
​own ​
professions.  Which gives us more to work with as information professionals
and historians, in elevator speeches and beyond
​.​  You'll see that in how Hanks talked about the making of *Apollo 13*.

I'll be writing this month about NARA's "Remembering Vietnam" exhibit,
which opens November 10, 2017.  I saw it at a pre-opening preview last week
and will be working some of the opening day events on Friday (Veterans Day
Holiday observed), along with other NARA colleagues.  You'll see a brief
assessment of the exhibit in my post, along with a photo of the Gala
evening tribute to Vietnam veterans.

Maarja
@ArchivesMaarja
​ashington, DC​
Blog: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__archivalexplorations.wordpress.com_&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=vXVYpVePwLq1bzWwaJBrZDk6MuUl5WxWkZhViIjWf2g&s=XIdGUFbeNV_klcDSKaLah4r83uywA2D5ZohqUw3psds&e=