From:
Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2018 16:32:59 -0400
The NARA video of the March 14, 2018 access and transparency panel is part of its "Know
Your Records" series in which National Archives employees discuss their work (archival
holdings, processes, access by the public, etc.)  You can find the presentation slides from
the session here:  https://www.archives.gov/files/calendar/know-your-records/handouts-
presentations/2018-03-14-access-at-nara-presentation.pdf

These cover records management, accessioning of permanently valuable materials,
processing (including disclosure review) of federal, presidential, legislative branch and
operational records, and access by members of the public.  I attended the session in person
(as noted in my tweet, I know some of the officials, pictured, who were on the panel:
https://twitter.com/ArchivesMaarja/status/974281287992299520 ).

The slides serve as good reference materials for anyone who wants to check out how we do
some of these things in Fedland.  (Some of this is quite arcane and even with the best
intentions, even good journalists sometimes misundersand or conflate some aspects.)  The
video presentations show how we represent at NARA and for anyone open to seeing it that
way (perspectives can vary), may help humanize our efforts.

In the context of my latest blog post about "Empowerment," errors of fact can be easy to
spot, using reference materials.  Recognizing values and metamessages as well as
messages can be more complicated outside our workplace, as undoubtedly with yours, as
well. Interpretations vary and always will; human nature.  It is the great diversity of places
where we work that makes talking about records, and seeing a broad spectrum of
interpretations of work issues, so very interesting to me.

Maarja
Washington, DC
Blog:  Archival Explorations
https://archivalexplorations.wordpress.com/