From:
Aprille McKay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Sep 2016 16:00:14 -0400
Hi everyone,

I just got my hands on a copy of the ISO 15489-1:2016 "Information and
Documentation - Records Management - Part 1:  Concepts and Principles."
This substantially revises the first version which was issued in 2001.
Many things are different, and it makes me wish for a redlined version.

Does anyone know of an article that summarizes in detail the changes from
the old standard to the new one -- hopefully one that talks a bit about
what motivated the changes and why the new version is better?

One thing that I see that has definitely changed is that section 7.1
"Principles of records management programmes" is gone.

Instead, there are general functions that organizations must fulfill, but
they are not necessarily assigned to a RM "programme."  For example,
business managers (not records professionals) are now named as being
responsible for making (or at least authorizing) decisions about creating,
capturing and managing records.  Records professionals responsibilities
include training; designing and implementation of records systems; and
designing metadata schemas.

I'm also interested in figuring out what the uptake/implementation of this
standard will likely be in the US -- especially considering it is so
expensive.

Thanks so much,
Aprille

--
*Aprille Cooke McKay*
*Assistant Director for University Collections and Records Management*

  Bentley Historical Library
  1150 Beal Avenue
  Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2113
  734-936-1346