From:
"Osier, Nina" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2008 07:50:15 -0500
Okay, I'm another old-timer.  I first subscribed during the days when
the State of Maine had no enterprise-wide Internet connection or e-mail,
when the Maine State Archives had its own access through the University
of Maine.  I've worked for all three of Maine's State Archivists, having
been hired by Samuel S. Silsby, Jr. during the last few years he held
office; and having worked for James S. Henderson during his entire time
in office (nearly 20 years).  I'm now happily working for David R.
Cheever, who hit us like a whirlwind in early July 2007.  He would take
that as a compliment, so I don't hesitate to post it in a public forum.

Like most RM/RIM old-timers, I fell into this business.  My degree is in
business education, which started me off with a solid knowledge of how
to manage paper documents.  I taught in public high schools, and briefly
at a junior college, before entering government service full time in
1982.  I've been an accountant, a business manager, and an agency
records officer.  That last experience was my springboard to this
position, which has grown tremendously in its scope and level of
responsibility since I assumed it in 1987.  I supervise an imaging
center, a graphics studio, records retention scheduling for all of
Maine's state and local government agencies, and an in-house records
center.  I also serve as professional staff to the Archives Advisory
Board, and as advisor to the State Archivist on legal, financial, and
human resources issues.  That includes overseeing development of an
on-line store, among other projects that cross divisional lines.  My
most vital current project is working with an inter-agency team to
develop an enterprise-wide e-mail management system that will eventually
be replaced by a full-scale RMA, and in the meantime I'm trying to
respond adequately to a desperate need for digital records management
education on the part of just about all State of Maine employees.  There
are 12 of us at the Maine State Archives.  We keep busy here!

The most important thing about my job, though, is this:  after all these
years, I still come to work and have fun!  I get to do this while living
in a neighborhood I've known since childhood, and among the records
preserved here are those documenting the lives of my ancestors.  I am
the luckiest woman on earth, because change comes to me.  I don't have
to go searching the world to find it.  In fact, some days it almost mows
me down. :-)

With so many new "faces" here, and so many lurkers (I only post
occasionally), re-introductions are a good idea.  Lurking is fine, BTW.
Many of us do it, with gratitude to those who post more frequently for
providing such useful information.

Best,

"9-UH"
Nina M. Osier
Director, Division of Records Management Services
Maine State Archives - Dept. of the Secretary of State