From:
Christopher Ferry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2018 13:05:55 -0400
Jeff,

In my position in the US EPA (where I am a contractor) we use the term
"records custodian". The business unit is the custodian of the record until
it is transferred to the custodianship of the Records Center. The custodian
is the group responsible for the management of the record - once the
business unit transfers a record to the Records Center, they no longer have
to worry about maintaining a clean record copy or destroying the record if
it is past its retention.

We've always seen ownership as applying at a larger level. In our case the
agency (US EPA) "owns" the records, not specific regions, business units,
sections, or staff members.

I hope this helps.

Christopher Ferry, CRM
Boston, MA