From:
Maureen Cusack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 May 2010 15:16:06 -0700
Gordy said:

<So the question becomes whether to intervene once, now, or plan for
periodic future efforts.>
I say once is not enough since applications are sunsetted and new
applications are designed all the time (every month where I work),
and periodic future efforts is too vague for IT staff who need clearly
defined responsibilities and specific tasks since they are the ones doing
the migration/conversion/environment preservation.

My strategy to ensure access to 'legacy' data (as IT calls it) thoughout the
data's lifecycle has so far been top-down repetitive reminders to IT
Directors as well as bottom-up reiteration of the message. I customize the
message wherever possible for specific legacy data since IT cannot do much
with high-level requirements statements and are never motivated to circle
back to RM and request specific instructions (why would they -it results in
more work for them and they always say they are under time constraints).

Since the average staff needs to hear any message about 3 times before it
even registers (according to our esteemed colleagues who teach us how to
market our RM programs) and since I observe that most staff need to hear and
read RM formal requirements in varying levels of detail more than that, and
since there may be a revolving door problem in IT staffing as well as a
monomaniacal focus on 'projects' to the exclusion of consideration of daily
operational processes, with no handover of RM requirements from PM to daily
IT support staff, I find myself repeating and documenting the
legacy-data-access message a couple of times a week and seeking ways to
audit ongoing availability of legacy data.

--
Maureen Cusack
San Francisco, CA