Hugh Sharpe <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 7 Jun 2018 08:11:06 -0400
My only experience with shrink wrapping paper materials was some of my
personal library and humidity caused moisture to collect on the inside of
the wrap and damage some of the books.

Michael Sharpe
Records Retention Manager / Legal & Compliance Department
Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency
1200 N. Seventh Street, Harrisburg, PA 17102
Direct: 717-720-2820

From:   "Seibolt, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]
Date:   05/30/2018 12:15 PM
Subject:        [external]Question - Shrink Wrapping Records Boxes
Sent by:        Records Management Program <[log in to unmask]>

Hello all in quiet Listserv land. An observation recently came up in a
facility audit of our offsite storage provider. The provider offers a
shrink wrap service for boxes to protect from water damage should the
sprinklers go off in the facility or a sprinkler head break. I really
don't know what to think about it. I like our boxes have access to some
air flow.

I am not sure in the event of a sprinkler activation it's worth the
expense or cost of having boxes shrink wrapped. I don't think I have read
anything about the pros/cons of doing this type of process. I also think
the history of most  serious incidents in commercial storage facilities
would indicate wet records might be the least of the risks or problems to
address unless they are left to soak. The cost is $3.10 per box. I have
never been involved in an incident involving a sprinkler issue at
commercial storage vendor. It seems like a remote possibility especially
as most boxes are intermixed among clients reducing the risk. I am not
sold it's worth the time or cost with a beneficial return. I certainly
wouldn't shrink wrap boxes that might be called back. Does anyone have any
thoughts or information on this issue?

Rob Seibolt, CRM
Records and Library Services
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.mriglobal.org&d=DwIFAg&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=7KLL4LZqNbBVFfYWwl43A1ThPlOaEmIxmuDpNutxKYU&s=Gm7GFtmQ9pTnm1Z0BMzKBe3ihz-0sL7Y86xv9JOBugM&e=
<
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.mriglobal.org_&d=DwIFAg&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=7KLL4LZqNbBVFfYWwl43A1ThPlOaEmIxmuDpNutxKYU&s=idE-IpAXGbwSwoy04l9FjgdD1wln-MzmbtXoE6yl3_U&e=

This message is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which
it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is
confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise legally exempt from
disclosure. If you have received this message in error, please notify the
sender immediately by facsimile, e-mail or phone and delete all copies of
the message.

List archives at
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__lists.ufl.edu_archives_recmgmt-2Dl.html&d=DwIFAg&c=9ut6RcAKs8AF_YMM4QH5hA&r=_6PbLM0te6ENLXpFkcs0gshBoLRfaIKHjf7hL15siJY&m=0XfvhioGGYncI5nDQkKFQ4PLfBhFTuKiMPL-Uz6jnOI&s=04P4M9eGi7Sx-J-r5CT5iWiWS6eUV9uHOkqhE3cw-oU&e=

present, place UNSUBSCRIBE RECMGMT-L or UNSUB RECMGMT-L in the body of the
message.