From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2010 17:44:16 -0400
On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 4:47 PM, John Phillips
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Last year I did a presentation at ARMA on the integration of software
> systems to track both paper and electronic, and some software can do that,
> but with widely differing capabilities for each media type. p-Recs and
> e-Recs may be siblings but are never identical twins.
>
> Yup what one would call fraternal twins.

Most organizations have a lot of well established p-Rec procedures and
policies in place. The difficulty comes when that organization decides to
purchase and implement an ERMS. Those procedures as John points out don't
necessarily play well with the ERMS. The retention schedule needs to be
reexamined and the retention periods deconstructed. For example a financial
institution's retention schedule will have two records series
Loan Files - Retain while loan is active
Closed Loan files - Retain for 6 years
In the e-Recs world I would create one record category/folder called Loans
with an associated disposition of closed + 6 years

Or a retention period that reads " retain for 10 years unless audited"
in an ERMS the disposition going to be retain for 10 years. and if audited
I'll create an audit hold.
while a detailed file plan down to the nth level is great an ERMS really
only needs down to the 4th or 5th level. People don't browse the file plan
they use the search feature

it takes time to move into an ERMS a lot of work and a lot of planning.

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va