From:
"Yanaway, Dana E." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:54:21 -0400
I've done a bit of searching the archives and intranet and been unable to answer this question does anyone know for sure or have any good ideas where to find out what the floor load of a file room (or a single bay of shelving) would be?

I am the Records Manager for a law firm and we are building a new space for our Boston office. We will be occupying the 16th & 17th floors of an office building and I've been called on by our building committee (at the last minute, boggles the mind, you'd think the project manager or architect could answer this) to determine what the floor load would be for a file room.

So with shelving that measures 15" by 42" and has 7 shelves (such that each shelf will comfortably hold three standard boxes) or each bay would hold 21 boxes, What does each bay weigh?

Is there a standard estimate of the weight of files in boxes? or do we simply weigh a random sample or go with a simple guesstimate (35 or 40 lbs per box) times 21 = 735 - 840 lbs per bay?

Am I missing something?

Dana E. Yanaway
Records Center Manager
Day, Berry & Howard LLP
CityPlace I | Hartford, CT 06103 | t 860.275.0247 | f 860.275.0343
[log in to unmask]       www.dbh.com

This message contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended solely for the use of the addressee(s) named above.  Any disclosure, distribution, copying or use of the information by others is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by immediate reply and delete the original message.  Thank you.