Pilar McAdam <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 4 Jun 2018 17:01:53 +0000
As long as the retention schedule is current, once the required retention period has passed the only reason for reviews of pending destruction is to check for exceptions.  Exceptions would include records subject to a legal hold or to an audit.  If the organization's process for putting holds into effect (and lifting them) is operating properly, Legal and Tax should be able to provide quick reviews of eligibility lists to ensure that nothing has slipped through.  Departments shouldn't need to be included in the review process.

In my experience, asking departments to review and approve lists of records that have passed retention creates an almost insurmountable bottleneck to the destruction-in-the-normal-course-of-business process.  I think this is primarily due to a few underlying fears by department leadership that include 1) fear of being the person whose named is linked to authorization of destruction, 2) fear of not being able to adequately predict possible future needs, 3) fear that the retention schedule isn't trustworthy.

I believe that these fears can be allayed through training and good communication.

Just one woman's opinion.

Pilar C. McAdam, CRM
Los Angeles, CA