From:
Trevor Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2011 09:02:16 -0400
Hello all--

From time to time a question arises having to do with what media and
techniques should be considered acceptable for creation of recordable 'plats'
for local land records, to produce plats that will last and hold up in use.

Searched the List archive and found a few general things from around 2001-
but the information was only general.

My understanding is that surveyors and engineers used to hand-draw with
india ink, first on linen, later on mylar, and that either is very permanent, but
that hand-drawing (the practice, not the medium) is fading away rapidly.

My understanding is also that certain processes such as diazo and xerographic
(photocopy or laser-print) are convenient but subject to degradation or
variables that make them ill-suited for permanent documents.

Silver photo-type processes have apparently been used, and can have good
durability and longevity, but my understanding is that this carries a substantial
cost premium, requires elaborate equipment, and so is becoming far more
scarce.

That leaves inkjet plotters as the technology that is apparenty predominant
and becoming moreso.

From what I gather, a plat generated with properly selected ink on properly
selected mylar can have extremely good stability and longevity.  From what I
also gather, though, some thought must be given not only to the type and
characteristics of the ink, but also the type and characteristics of the mylar,
and maybe the inter-compatibility of a certain type ink with a certain type
mylar.

Assuming that those who receive mylars for recording or reference in public
records have neither expertise nor resources to stay deeply current in which
inks and mylar materials and combinations thereof are OK, let alone to
somehow independently verify and police that the right ones have in fact
actually been used...  is there anything that one could "point to" as an
objective "standard" developed and kept current by any sort of standards
body, professional convocation, or government entity?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Trevor Lewis
Records Analyst &
Local Records Program Coordinator
Vermont State Archives & Records Administration
1078 U.S. Route 2, Middlesex
Montpelier, VT 05633-7701
802-828-1005 (tel.) | 802-828-3710 (fax)
802-828-3700 (main switchboard)
www.vermont-archives.org
“Records management is like elevator maintenance.
It's not noticed until it's gone, or something goes wrong.” (source unknown)