From:
"Zelenyj, Dan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:00:37 -0500
Interesting point of view; however, it seems a bit like saying that
because someone brings in their car for servicing frequently to their
local Ford dealership, they are qualified to be the head mechanic.

Forgive the inelegant metaphor, but it seems to me that being a member
of a client group is hardly adequate qualification for the leadership of
NARA, given the immensely complex and expansive information management
functions for which it is responsible.  While I agree that the head need
not necessarily be an Archivist or Records Manager (although this would
be the ideal), one would hope for at least a senior manager from the
public or private sector conversant in the intricacies of getting things
done at the executive level in a large organization.  Even a politician
would be better; at least they, as Bruce notes, understand the
"political landscape".

Dan Zelenyj
Coordinator, Archival Services
City of Vaughan