From:
Martin Tuip <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 May 2010 07:56:00 -0700
In my 10 years of deploying retention policies with archiving solutions for email, relying on end users to 'drag and drop' data to managed folders has been shown to not be very successful.  It has in edge cases where they used it in smaller departments, but most organizations I have seen adopted retention policies that would apply DL membership.  It took out the end user out of the equation (actually also improved their productivity). Email tends to be too high of a volume of data (average send/received is in excess of 100 per day these days).

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it .. I just haven't seen it been very successful.

(disclosure, I work for an archiving vendor, but just trying to share my experience here and not selling anything)  :)

Martin Tuip
Senior Technical Product Marketing Manager Iron Mountain Digital
3200 Coronado Drive
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: 425-996-8508
Cell: 425-736-5739