While sanctions for spoliating evidence were initially a shield to be used
by parties prejudiced by the destruction of evidence, recently plaintiff's
attorneys are using such spoliation sanctions more as a sword to maintain
or even revive an otherwise a weak case.� It is a common practice now for
attorneys to send businesses "preservation letters" before defense counsel
gets involved and then later using the failure to preserve evidence as a
basis to maintain a potentially frivolous claim by arguing that defendant's
failure to preserve some piece of evidence has prevented the plaintiff from
proving their case.� The duty to preserve begins when litigation is
reasonably foreseeable. As soon as a potential claim is identified, a
litigant is under a duty to preserve evidence that it knows or reasonably
should know is relevant to the action. Because a potential claim may be
identified in prelitigation correspondence, the duty to preserve may start
months or even years before a complaint is filed

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bit.ly_2La5qUW&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=bDSiZzk4ogTDEeSBLn7oY1f-t8qIKZoTeBdZq23Fnp4&s=mlAd6kSBIamY6URsA9NDAzfSJENkuZR2GDWP9w_OpWk&e=
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bit.ly_2La5qUW-2B&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=bDSiZzk4ogTDEeSBLn7oY1f-t8qIKZoTeBdZq23Fnp4&s=uwvsifZ934bjQiGJXKme_cNLG961aTlcGzcoy273Xw8&e=

--
Peterk
Dallas, Tx