Two items, one a press release from an advocacy group about an investigation by the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) of reported deletion of family separation records. And the second an essay about the impact on research of decisions throughout the records life cycle.

(1) A July 26, 2018 press release from Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) describes its July 6, 2018 complaint to NARA about reported deletion of family separation records by the Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Health and Human Services.  CREW's press release links to a letter to DHS/Dustoms and Border Patrol and to HHS from Chief Records Officers Officer Lawrence Brewer of NARA about the reported deletion and to a response to CREW's complaint from AOTUS David S. Ferriero.
Link to press release with the NARA letter links:
https://www.citizensforethics.org/press-release/dhs-hhs-under-investigation-for-destroying-immigrant-family-records/
or short link
https://bit.ly/2LxAZgt

(2)  I've been lucky to spend most of my four-decade Federal career working at the nexus of records management, archives, and history.  Reflecting on a speech by historian Howard Zinn in 1970 to the Society of American Archivists reminded me of how much of our public and private sector records management and archives labor is invisible to researchers.  I looked at the importance of introducing users of records to the basics of RM and archives work in a new blog post, "Aerial views, ground views."  This includes extracts from an appraisal report I did of Federal Records Act controlled materials at the Office of Management and Budget during the time I worked as a records analyst and appraisal archivist.
https://archivalexplorations.wordpress.com/2018/07/22/aerial-views-street-views/
or short link
https://bit.ly/2Ls8tMU
I also look at Vietnam War era records and their use in research and exhibits.  As those of you who read his blog know, AOTUS David S. Ferriero, a Vietnam veteran, recently made an official visit to Vietnam, his first time back since he was deployed there (March 1970-March 1971).

One of my current duties, one I volunteer for, in helping staff public programs at NARA related to our "Remembering Vietnam" exhibit is handing out commemorative Vietnam War lapel pins to veterans who served there after book lectures and public programs about the war.  David Ferriero speaks at most of these programs and always asks his fellow veterans to stand and be recognized.  If you are a Vietnam War veteran and would would welcome receiving one of the commemorative pins I hand out to honor those who come to NARA, please private message me and I can see if I can send you one by mail.  Or if you're in Washington this summer, let me know and if my schedule permits (it's pretty flexible) I can walk you through oor Vietnam War exhibit.

Have a good weekend, all!

Maarja
Washington, DC
Blog:  Archival Explorations