From:
Sharon Burnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:55:02 -0800
This question is kinda up my alley. Blackberries (or Blueberries) are
standard issue at Vulcan. We have our PINs recorded as a part of our
business continuance plan. We have our entire legal team's PINs in our
address books. Plus we all have our business continuance plan saved to our
Blackberries.

Here's an excerpt I found on a webpage from blackberry.com dated July 28,
2004:

"In the event of a catastrophic loss of network, email, or back-end
infrastructure, BlackBerry users can take advantage of PIN-to-PIN messaging
to communicate directly with other BlackBerry users over the wireless
network. However, two factors can potentially impede this feature: the need
for easy access to PIN addresses and the decision by many organizations to
"turn off” PIN-to-PIN messaging due to the absence of message archiving.
With METAmessage, users can make sure their BlackBerry address books have
the latest PIN addresses by using METAmessage’s PIN updating feature. And,
organizations can enable PIN-to-PIN messaging with the knowledge that all
transmissions will be securely archived. "

So the answer, at least for Blackberry is no - there is no message archiving
when using PIN-to-PIN. I would assume, based on the technology, that other
hand-held would function in the same way. At least, if need be, the function
can be disabled.

Interesting topic - I always love to share what I've learned. Just so you
know, as far as regular email sent from our handhelds, our
Blackberry/Blueberries are synched with our exchange network. Any message I
send from my Blackberry also is copied to my laptop. Such is the advantage
of deployment as a part of a corporate environment rather than just
something I bought myself.

Sharon Burnett
Seattle Washington USA

"Hey, I'm not a lawyer and I do not play one on TV. The opinions herein
expressed are mine and mine alone. Do not forward or cross post this message
without my express permission."