From:
Dan Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2008 14:13:23 -0400
Great topic!

I keep a leaf from a disbound volume of the "Commentaries on the Laws of
Rome" penned by Bartolus de Saxoferrato (a prominent Italian law professor
and jurist of the Middle Ages, and contemporary of Larry de Danville) that
was published in 1538  -  that I use (along with other examples of  - and
new media) to illustrate the varying levels of longevity for different
information-bearing media.

This printed page (on vellum?), printed 470 years ago is in great
condition - the storage media has survived and is legible.  The hardware
to view it is still around - light and my eye glasses.  The only problem
is that darn software - its in a language I can't comprehend - my guess is
Latin... but that problem could possibly be overcome by having it
translated.... assuming that Latin V.7.0 (or whatever) that is available
today is backwards compatible with Latin V1.0 used by good old
Bartolus....

Regards,

Dan Jones
My own comments,