From:
Alan Pelz-Sharpe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 2009 08:05:04 -0400
Great post!

I have been involved in ECM for the last 20 years and can tell you that in all that time I
have never seen a single example of true enterprise wide content management.

That being said, I have seen many firms that have managed documents, files and records
exceptionally well. But the idea of a single system running everything is a pipe dream...
and quite frankly a silly one at that.

When we use the term ECM we typically are thinking about the technology that we need
to manage content (think Documentum, Open Text etc), but in reality managing
enterprise content is more about good Governance (policies, procedures), a willing
culture and a strong understanding and appreciation for business processes.  If you have
all of that, you can start to manage content well - but content will likely require multiple
repositories (technical locations) and sundry technology.

It's topic that I can talk about all day long - but thought I would just throw my 5c into the
discussion :-)

Alan

Alan Pelz-Sharpe
Principal Analyst