Date:
Thu, 19 May 2005 17:27:41 EDT
I'm certain that all of us like to read a good book. One filled with
intrigue, deceit, back-stabbing, illegal acts, social issues, fear, egos, greed,
scandals,etc.

All the ingredients of an interesting novel. Only it's not. It is the true
story of  ENRON's humble pipeline beginnings to its bankruptcy and the saga  of
a hidden but eventually unturned paper trail.

The book---"Conspiracy of Fools" by Kurt Eichenwald.

Notwithstanding the complicated financial transactions involved, it is
written in a fast moving manner by a winning New York Times writer.

For the records manager, it offers some interesting comments on records
value and legal response. Just a couple:

"How could the lawyers let that happen?" he asked. "They didn't know to  send
out a memo telling everybody not to destroy everything?"

The place bustled, the trash cans overflowed. And around the office she
heard the whirring sound from the firm's shredders......."Dave got an e-mail on
Friday from the legal department in Chicago. They want us to be in compliance
with the document-retention policy."

Frankly, I got lost on some of the transactions, but I couldn't put the  book
down. Try it. I think you will find it very interesting.

Bill Benedon