From:
Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 16:57:30 -0400
Larry's right, NARA has some excellent guidance on its website.  Unfortunately, NARA has just revamped its entire website as of the last week or so, I'm just learning where info is squirreled away on it.  I was so comfortable with the old site, now I have to learn the new structure, LOL.  The link Larry just provided for General Schedule info doesn't work, that might just be an incomplete copy and paste, or NARA may have changed the URL for the new site.

On the current NARA website the records management page is at
http://www.archives.gov/records-mgmt/

General Records Schedules are at
http://www.archives.gov/records-mgmt/ardor/records-schedules.html

P.S.  Many of the new pages on the NARA website are geared very much for members of the general public.  Here is how NARA defines for the public what government records managers do -- this is from its careers page at http://www.archives.gov/careers/jobs/positions.html:

"Records Managers * work with Federal government entities such as the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), and the U.S. Army to make sure they are creating records that reflect the work they do. The volume of paper and electronic files created by the Federal government, which employs more than two million people who are busy creating those records, is tremendous. Records managers also make sure that agencies are storing their records properly and are bringing the most important ones safely to the National Archives to be attended to by archivists and conservators."

Interesting wording. .  .I might have worded some of that just a little differently, but hey. . . .   Check out the explanations of the other jobs, as well.

A good weekend to you all,

Maarja

Maarja Krusten
GAO Historian