From:
Sue Myburgh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 2005 08:36:30 +0930
Hi everybody

I am so enjoying this conversation and learning heaps - not least of all
the passion which the subject of RIM education seems to raise in so
many.
Okay, so given, as Steve has stated, that:

"The CRM exams capture the body of knowledge about RIM, including
technology, basic general management, and mirror that body of knowledge
on the parts I - V examinations, and in the case studies.  Always has.
This RIM body of knowledge, and the CRM exams, also includes topics and
many questions germane to imaging, since that is part of the RIM
profession also."

in other words, that the CRM is a complete and ultimate test of a RIM's
knowledge and theoretical base, as well as technological applications
and effects, what is its relationship to education and training?

The CRM is viewed, as has been stated in this discussion, as a
certification process, similar to, for example, the Bar exam.  However,
the Bar exam is preceded by many years of study in an accredited
educational institution.  Apart from the general requirement for an
undergraduate degree (and it would appear that this may be in any area)
in order to sit for the CRM, the ICRM has no direct relationship with
the educational or teaching process as such: it is not an accredited
educational institution, but an accredited certifying institution.
(Please correct me if I am wrong in this, Steve).

So, no matter how excellent, complete and extensive the process of
testing for the CRM, it would appear that the knowledge base required
can only be acquired through practical experience, as matters presently
stand.  It does not specify that anybody needs to have completed ANY
previous qualification in RIM, and even related areas of knowledge, such
as the MLIS that Kirsten described, are not recognised in any particular
way.

The question then becomes: does the CRM effectively replace such
education?

This to me is a central issue.  I believe that a desirable state of
affairs would be for the ICRM to insist on such prior education at the
very least - whether at vocational or university level.  Granted, we
still have a large number of professionals who have learnt on the job
and have come up through the ranks; however, we must look at where the
profession is going, and not where it has been.  The next generation of
RIMs will no doubt require an extensive and broad education in the area
even to get a job.

As many have noted, it is precisely this that is lacking.  Kirsten urges
more involvement by academia, and this is probably true.  However,
academia will take note only when there is a body of theory, based on
research, and not only is this sorely lacking, but is actively
discouraged by the profession - we do not have a vehicle for publication
of such research!

Looks like a lot of work still to be done.
All the best
Sue

Sue Myburgh
School of Communication, Information and New Media
University of South Australia
St Bernard's Road
Magill SA 5076
ADELAIDE

P: 618 8302 4421
F: 618 8302 4745
E; [log in to unmask]

To be stupid, selfish, and have good health are three requirements for
happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost.
Gustave Flaubert (1821 - 1880)