Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:58:56 EDT

Sue, thank you. You have provided a platform for discussing some very
significant issues about ARMA and its international activities. I sincerely hope
you receive some responses. The Task Force report should be read to understand
what is happening. Forgive me if my answer is a bit lengthy, I am very
concerned  about the direction being taken.
What does internationalism mean to you, as North American Members?
Internationalism to me means a spirit or policy of cooperation and mutual
understanding with individuals and organizations throughout the world.  Individuals and
organizations that have a primary interest in records and  information
management and its related disciplines
Do you think that increasing international membership will assist you?  For
the sake of numbers, NO! For the purpose of establishing meaningful contacts
and resources, Yes!  But it has not  worked that way. Who are our international
members? What is their involvement in  RIM.  You don’t find significant
foreign publications (in English) mentioned by ARMA. Like many other ARMA  members
I have presented seminars worldwide. These have resulted in published  books
and articles in Japanese, Portuguese, and French. I am certain this is  also
true of other speakers. When the IRMC published Glossaries in German,  French,
Spanish, Portuguese, and Japanese, they were never even mentioned by  ARMA.
Internationalism is not only ARMA generated or marketed publications. The  Task
Force action plan does not address this issue.
Do you think that collaboration between the ICA and ARMA is useful? Of
course! So is collaboration with RMAA (Australasia), BRMS (Great Britain) RSJ
(Japan). Remember, it was The RMAA that was responsible for the development of
ISO15489, The ICA has put out some excellent studies on records management and
electronic records. The Australian government has published some very valuable
 studies on the application of ISO15489 as has the Records Management Society
of  Great Britain. Yet, we can’t get a meaningful presentation on the subject
from  HQ for chapter use. What happens to the presentations made at the ICA
or the  Conference International Day?.
Do you think that ARMA should become the international umbrella for the
records profession? Absolutely not! Why did it withdraw from the IRMC when all
the other associations supported the concept? “Global thought leader in RIM?
What does that mean? According to the Beacon report, which makes no mention of
international RIM, ARMA needs to undertake a major branding effort, it needs
to  establish better relationships with its chapters, and it needs an IBM
stature.  Sounds like our international program (with, of course, consultant
assistance)  is putting the cart before the horse.
What role do you think ARMA might play in internationalism?  A critical issue
not addressed by the  task force. Evident by the singular representation on
the Task Force by an  international member. I would think that the ambassadors
would be a critical  part of this study. The budgetary aspects of the
suggested approach have not  been identified. Is there an international relations
balance sheet?  How is the current $50,000 international  budget with no revenues
(plus other cost not reflected) explained?  Chapters now underwrite LINC
memberships. LINC people are now asking for support to attend the conference.
Will national offer a discount price or share the cost with chapters? Economics
are a critical part of the international scene. In its sharing role with AIIM,
 has ARMA discussed with then the AIIM international experience?
Allocation of fund. I have been a member of ICA for many years. Their  Comma
publication is excellent. It has multi-lingual articles. Its newsletter is  in
English and French. I have also purchased materials from Australia and Great
Britain. I do not advocate an every language approach, or the conversion of
all  publications. A query of our current international members would have been
a  valuable guide in many of the issues covered by your questions and in the
Task  Force study.
Sue, I guess it would be interesting to ask international members on  their
reaction to global thought leader.
Bill Benedon