From:
Sue Myburgh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jul 2005 08:40:25 +0930
Dear Bill

Thank you for your lengthy and thoughtful reply.  It is a privilege to
hear the opinions of one who has been involved with the RIM scene and
its relevant professionals associations for a lengthy period of time - a
true 'wisdom of the elders'!  And I certainly do not mean this in any
negative way!

I really am hoping that ARMA members respond, as indeed, it is their
money which will be committed to whatever endeavours the SPC decides
upon.  I have had the privilege of having read the TF report, and, like
you, I note many lacunae.  My overall impression is that it was focused
on developing a strategy to achieve an objective, without critical
analysis of the objective.  But that's just my view.

I wonder if this is an accurate summary of your argument:

1.       You believe that internationalisation should underlie all our
efforts, as global citizens, and that includes our role as RIMs, in that
this view increasingly will affect our work.

2.       The primary benefit of having international members in an
organisation such as ARMA would be that such international members would
be highly visible, and that international developments, references (and
possibly access to) international publications should be numerous and
regarded as equally significant as any US or ARMA publications.
Additionally, significant US and ARMA publications should be made
available in other major languages, such as, perhaps, German, French,
Spanish, Portuguese and Japanese.

3.       Collaboration with other RIM professional organisations should
extend to all such organisations, including the national RIM
associations where they exist.

4.       ARMA should not attempt to become an umbrella international
organisation, but instead should focus on how international developments
might affect existing ARMA members.

5.       Close analysis and discussion of the role of ARMA as 'global
thought leader in RIM' should be undertaken.  As you note later on in
your piece, it would be extremely interesting to hear what the
international RIM community might have to say about this, and what
ARMA's track record is, to date, in this dimension!

6.       The ICA congress, and the papers presented there - in
particular by ARMA members - should be made generally available to all
ARMA members.

7.       The TF should have sought wider representation in its efforts
from its existing international members, and perhaps from the
international RIM community.

8.       A financial analysis and balance sheet should be produced
indicated the money spent on internationalisation efforts thus far; what
the projected internationalisation efforts might cost, and what ROI
there will be, for members and for the association.

9.       Discussions with other associations with international
experience should take place, including, for example, AIIM.

10.   International members should be asked the same questions as appear
in this mini-questionnaire.

I will leave it to others to comment on these issues, and I would hope
that the motivation might well be, What's in it for us?  What do we get
from our dollars being spent in this way?  How can they be better spent?
I, for one, find it difficult to disagree with many of the points you
have raised.

I would like to note, however, that the International Ambassadors -
Hella Bartolo (sadly deceased in 2004); Claudette Samuels (as
International Director until 2003); Sonia Black, Masashi Kotani, Vaughan
Spooner, Sharon Alexander-Gooding and myself, have been providing
international input for a considerable period of time.  It is sad to
have to report that this has been a long and arduous road, and at times
we have felt rather like Sisyphus - the chap who was doomed to
continually roll a boulder uphill, only to have it roll down again each
time...

Bill, it might interest you to note that I have asked the international
members in my region several of these questions (this questionnaire is
probably worth repeating in its entirety) and I must note that lack of
confidence in English precluded many responses.  Having said that, there
were consistent themes (and remember these are existing, fee-paying ARMA
members):  there is lack of awareness of the financial constraints
placed in these members when everything is charged at standard US dollar
rates; their only real benefit is the Information Management Journal;
there few or no references to international activities in their
countries (e.g. China, Russia, South Korea, Singapore, Indonesia, and
Australia); all conferences take place in the US and it is much too
expensive for them to consider attending; there are no regional
conferences; there are other associations to which to belong, notably
national ones, but also organisations such as ICA and AIIM, which often
receive precedence in their attention; while all news is US-biased, it
is interesting to see what the US is up to - but the US is not
considered a leader in the field of RIM (this distinction is presently
held by Australia); there is a need for a truly international and
inclusive forum because of the nature of the contemporary environment.

International members certainly see themselves as a minority 'other' (to
use Foucault's term), even though, using elementary arithmetic, US RIM
professionals constitute only a small percentage of RIM practitioners
world-wide.  In fact, it might be true to suggest that many of these
international members might have more in common with each other than
with the US, for a range of reasons, not least such issues as general
lack of resources.

I am looking forward to further debate on this issue on the listserv.

All the best from sunny Adelaide

Sue Myburgh