From:
"John J. O'Brien" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2007 01:37:26 -0400
It is important to remember that ISO 15489 is more guideline than standard
and that it is intended to be applied within variable contexts. It is based
upon the Australian standard AS 4390,  so views on its utility there are
important and hold valuable lessons, but canot be simply carried into
jurisdictions where there is not a state or national level adoption of the
guide as "a standard".

Noting that IRM Strategies provides readiness assessments and maturity model
developing in relation to knowledge resource management (including
management of recorded information and cultural capacity), I can say that
ISO 15489 is a valuable resource but not auditable (some may debate that)
because its application covers extreme variables within a given context.

The underpinnings of ISO 15489 derive from the values of Australia augmented
by the values of participant regions in shaping the final document.  Some
aspects where left out (to the dissatisfaction of some Australasians who may
have objected but are not affected because the hone grown approach puts
those bits back in). Notably, there are some underpinnings that may not be
at the heart of recorded information management in some jurisdictions--and
businesses operating in these jurisdictions are not quick to take up a
"standard" that does not fit the local values.

English is an imprecise language and we all use terms that may hold a range
of meanings.  Standard is increasingly one of those terms, I think.

Overall, I see strong relationship between the MoReq and DOD 5012.2
standards and the frame within which these work--ostensibly ISO 15489.  I am
reviewing a bid now in which the client seems to think that the consultants
carry responsibility for compliance with relevant legislation when, in fact,
that is entirely a matter for internal management (one can use these systems
in many ways) and also a factor of the degree to which they adopt and
interpret ISO 15489.

Interestingly, they think and say they want an internationally viable RIM
approach to compliance, while at the same time excluding from the tender all
records not in the DMS. The result cannot deliver a compliant organization
at all.

ISO 15489 is about the total picture.  In my view and experience, it is
rightly tailored to suit context and this may retain the strength of a
comprehensive approach, or water it down, as management determines.  My job
is to tell then the truth -- and that they aloe are accountable for what
they do with that  ;-)