From:
John Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2007 08:43:00 -0400
Regarding Larry's comment about:

"I'd WELCOME the ICRM addressing this, and if they want to take a cruise
through the Listserv Archives, they can find tons of evidence to support the
claim. I've seen many employers adding "CRM desired" to position postings
recently, and even as long ago as the late 1990s, but when you ask the HR
person that you contact what that means, for the most part, they respond
"Umm, I don't know". SOMEONE in the organization does,  and someone seems to
find it of value, but generally the request is followed closely by "or
equivalent experience"

I would also welcome the ICRM addressing this. As consultant, I can not tell
you how many times I have started engagements with new clients saying "We
know we need a CRM..." and eventually they do get one. Among HR folks and
others that do not know what a CRM designation represents in terms of
educational knowledge, it even more important to them to have some sense
that there IS a body of knowledge that can be tested.  And hiring a person
that has passed something called the "CRM exam" gives them a much more
comfortable feeling that they are getting someone with some professional
perspectives and knowledge. It is also a very good starting point for
discussing the body of knowledge required for getting a professional level
Records Management position established within the client so they hire a
qualified individual - rather than having them simply temporarily reassign
an internal person that has limited knowledge and little long term interest
in solving the organization's information management challenges.

John

John T. Phillips
MSLS, CRM, CDIA, FAI
Electronic Records Management