From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 2009 11:57:22 -0400
I guess there's truth to the saying that the only thing that is constant is
change.

Used to be this event was always scheduled on Saturday evening before
Conference, and lots of people would show up... not everyone on the List is
an ARMA Member, and lots that are aren't involved in the other happenings
(chapter, regions, ICRM, etc) so we usually got a good turn out.

Sometimes the venue of the conference provides too many options of "stuff"
to do, and that would can change the turnout.  And in San Antonio, although
the Listserv party had been historically held on Saturday, and was already
scheduled and venue selected, the AIEF decided to hold their golf event that
night and THAT impacted the turnout.

People come and people go, some will attend on Wednesday, but unless they
have events during the day they're attending on Wednesday, the possibility
that they'll be in town early enough on Tuesday to attend is unlikely.

Keep in mind, people coming from the Left coast catching 6-7am flights for
the most part won't be landing in Orlando until 5-6pm EDT, then they need to
get luggage, get to the hotel, check in, and THEN think about getting to an
event, WHATEVER the event is.

The short/altered schedule of the Conference causes a bit more confusion,
weird start day and all, and the attraction of the "House of the Mouse" and
it's partner attractions may winnow out the crowd as well... given the price
of a one-day admission, I doubt folks will leave early to attend a party =)

Alice- you've done as much as you can to please the masses, all you can do
at this point is hope that "If you built it, they WILL come"

Larry