From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 12:17:34 -0700
Lynn,

Survey your microfilm holdings. determine among other things, record type,
retention, condition, and availabilty of backup copies. When records of
varying retention are on the same strip, you keep the strip for the longest
retention period of the records on it. I really don't recommend cutting the
strips and sleeving them. I've done it, wow, talk about time consuming. Keep
in mind I did it when the records were first filmed. Anything you do to the
records at this point is going to increase your organizations investment in
them. If you don't spend the company's money wisely, this could end up being
a CLM.

Microfilm is not meant to last forever. It is used to capture records in a
more concise format, as a preservaton tool, and to speed retrieval. Once you
discrimate between the records that need to me maintained and those that can
be disposed of, migrate the records to a more current media. Dispse of the
microfilm.

From a policy persective the paper that you printed out from film should be
labled as copies, the digital records you will create should be labled
electronic originals. Lawyers can't live with em' can't shoot em' (well...
maybe in texas :) ).

Chris Flynn