From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 11:34:19 -0700
Ginny,

I ain't a lawyer (on the up side G.W. can't fire me) so this is just my
opinion.

Humor
Who in their right mind would even attempt to use humor on the list? I can't
imagine such a thing. Foreshame we are all professionals here (well we are
still discussing Larry. 1972? really? WOW!). So subjective and yeah it
almost always ends up biting ya. Bu hey, good humor is an artform and art is
meant to create controversy. So wht the heck.

Who owns the email?

Well that really sounds liek a John question, but Like Peter always does,
I'll take a stab at it. In the old days (like back in 1972) mail was
delivered by hand (Pony express I think). When a letter was sent ownership
stayed with the author (I could be wrong about that if I am I hope any
future employers are understanding). Now we get to the assumptions.

Is email the same as a letter sent by mail? I Think (therefore I am) that
email is for functional purposes the same (help me John you red that legal
book what do it say?) if email is the same then the owner has certain
rights, and should be able to control future publication. we are of course
assuming that posting to the list is publishing (WOW! I better update my
resume to account for all the publishing I have done. oh wait do I want
future employers to read my postings oh me oh my). If (if) the posting are
considered published they entre the public domain. Fair use allows for us to
have a copy (or does it dang you Lewinsky for distracting Congress and
allowing them to pass such a rediculous fair use law) Keep in mind as you
use the pearls of wisdom cast before us (boy am I going to hear about that
one, ouch! that hurt) taht you should cite your source. Rick Barry always
let me know when he was going to use any of my whimsical and less that
knowledgeable observations. That can protect you to a degree (dang you
Lewsinsky).

Deleting the list

Boy what a thought (admit it everyone of you has hoped fo rit at one time or
another, probably half way through this posting). I don't know if you can
delete the list. We assume that the list is a body of loose ramblings of
crotchety old RM'ers that have been hanging around since the days of Nixon.
And mabe SAA can argue that the list is coparable to a bulletine board. Hmm,
but if we say hat emails are records, owned by the person who originated it
(otherwise we can't continue to hold them accountable for content), and
published to the web via a list, then I a not sure the list owners have the
authority to pull the publications without proper knowledge, consent, and
maybe even compensation to the authors. That is assuming that emails are
records to begin with (hmm I wonder if I can sue them, yeah right how much
money could an Archivist have anyway). If I am the author, I posted with the
knowledge that I would have global exposure (even in OZ), that the
assumption was that my wisdom (stop laughing Peter) would be there for the
ages, I wonder if the deletion would be a breach of contract?

well I think deleting the list is a bad idea. Tarabulski's postings alone
are worth the list (while you have a chance go read The Mad Pole's
rightings).

Chris (Sorry Peter I forgot to delete the previous message again) Flynn