From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2008 15:11:57 -0800
But, Ken, the way they say that is:

>Several states allow agencies to require payment in advance for
"burdensome requests" that take many hours to fulfill, said Pam
Greenberg of the Denver office of the National Conference of State
Legislatures.

You see what I mean. In most cases, agencies can require up-front
payment of any fees, even if its only five cents. BTW, I'm not
advocating the charging of fees to block public access. In our case, I'm
currently putting together a fee structure that allows a good amount of
copying and research assistance before we start charging. However, in my
experience, it's the fees that tend to lessen or provide more focus to
requests such as "I want to see all of your records" or "I'd like you to
photocopy those 100 boxes". I was just struck by how it didn't seem to
play any factor in the situation described in this article. Perhaps the
requests being made are simple enough that, individually, they fall
below a charge threshold.

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records Administrator
Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronics, Distribution and Stores
(FREDS)
1620 S.E. 190th Avenue
Portland, OR 97233
Phone: (503)988-3741