From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2008 13:40:48 -0700
Graham, I think the difference with e-mail relates to sheer volume; the
decentralization of basic office responsibilities to individual
employees at their desktops; and increasing pressures to perform in the
workplace. All of these contribute to an inability to perform basic
maintenance functions. I've been trying the filing away method for some
time, and I find it a difficult task to keep up with at best. Other
individuals I have been working with have had similar difficulties.

Since you mentioned "survey", that's my cue: I'm currently working on an
overall strategy to address our e-mail situation. One of the elements of
e-mail that strikes me as critical is understanding employee behavior.
This not only represents the greatest area of risk, it also represents
the greatest source of ROI for any solution. One of my proposals is to
develop a zoomerang survey to collect data on employee behaviors: how
they use e-mail, how much time they spend on it, whether they file it,
if they understand retention, etc.... Properly structured, it appears
that such a survey would result in more targeted and effective training,
as well as help supply data to build a case for return on investment for
any potential applications. It would also provide a base from which to
measure progress, and test various incremental approaches. My proposal
is to work with our quality and analytics team, as well as our County
Attorney, to develop such a tool. However, I was wondering if anyone on
this listserv has made a similar effort, and would be willing to share
their survey structure (not necessarily their survey results).

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records Administrator
Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronics, Distribution and Stores
(FREDS)
1620 S.E. 190th Avenue
Portland, OR 97233
Phone: (503)988-3741