From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 2009 12:11:01 -0800
Thanks, Brian - when we first moved into this building, a small amount
of methane came up between the concrete slab in the basement - probably
caused by the added weight. It wasn't enough to present a hazard. The
building was built with a methane gas exhaust/monitoring system.

The Yeon Shops building, as it is called, is actually an interesting
building - an early example of "green" architecture. Opened in 1981, the
building was originally built with solar panels to be used for heating
water. They were subsequently removed, however, new photo-voltaic solar
panels were installed last year in a private/public partnership. The
power generated is fed into the electrical grid, and we get a portion of
that revenue back.

Portions of the building are actually "underground" - I like to joke
that I probably work in the only archives/records center whose roof is
regularly mowed.

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records Administrator
Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronics, Distribution and Stores
(FREDS)
1620 S.E. 190th Avenue
Portland, OR 97233
Phone: (503)988-3741