From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 2009 09:42:00 -0800
Some news of potential interest to those in the Northwest (where the
bike ride in was excessively cold this morning!), or in local
government:

Our good friends in the City of Portland Archives are beginning their
move to their new facility. I was involved in the move many years ago to
the one they are now vacating, and wish them the best of luck in their
exciting new location at Portland State University. Here's hoping they
find time to enjoy the holidays! (Correction to the article: Stan Parr,
my mentor in this field, was the city's first professional Records
Manager; Lisa Faegerland, another valued mentor, was the first
professional Archivist). Stan was also, I believe, the first CRM (or at
least one of the first) in the state. Unfortunately, he died at an early
age, and I still miss his easy Texas charm:

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2009/11/portland_city_archi
ves_on_the.html

"Records Czar". A controversial term, based on the comments. The Oregon
Attorney General has appointed an attorney to be a public records chief,
focusing on improving and standardizing public access across state
agencies. In my experience, a significant barrier to public access is
often poor and underfunded records keeping, not nefarious bureaucrats.
I'll be watching for opportunities to comment:

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2009/12/kroger_appoints_pub
lic_records.html

Nobody called me a "records czar" when I worked with the County Attorney
and the Public Affairs Office to develop our own public access practice.
Does that come with epaulets and a nifty badge?:

http://bit.ly/8SVx7q

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records Administrator
Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronics, Distribution and Stores
(FREDS)
1620 S.E. 190th Avenue
Portland, OR 97233
Phone: (503)988-3741