From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2010 11:00:59 -0700
Hi, folks - we are looking at the conversion of a fairly large amount of
16mm and 35mm microfilm, as well as 105mm microfiche to TIFF images.
I've found some good examples of specifications on the internet, for
example, from the Library of Congress. Outside of our microfiche - which
is fairly consistent COM - I anticipate film quality that varies
considerably in density, splicing practices, and reduction ratio. The
office I am facilitating this for wants to send out only their diazo
copies for scanning. We are looking at negative > positive scans, mostly
bi-tonal, but with some potential gray scale issues as well (I'm not
entirely sure what we are scanning yet, but believe some of it is
hand-written).

I prefer to send out the diazos myself, but wonder what kinds of quality
issues we might encounter in doing so. Is there anyone who can comment
on this, or perhaps point me to any standards or guidelines on the
subject?

Also, if you have sent out silver originals for scanning outside of your
immediate geographic area, what kind of shipping/insurance arrangements
did you make? Or, is this simply too risky?

Dwight Wallis, CRM

Records Administrator

Multnomah County Records Management Program

1620 SE 190th Avenue

Gresham, OR 97233

phone: (503)988-3741

fax: (503)988-3754